A clean and ordered bathroom provides a serene start to the day. While my tiny bathroom could never be considered spa-like, I appreciate it so much when it is spotless and filled with good smells. Below are the steps I take to achieve a thoroughly clean space. For most surfaces, I use the lavender vinegar solution in my last post, as well as baking soda.
- Declutter the cabinets. Remove everything and consider each item. Throw away expired makeup and other liquid products you haven’t used up within a year. If you haven’t used up a product within a year, you haven’t been using it. Don’t try to convince me otherwise!
- Wipe down the cabinet cupboards with a damp cloth and then dry. Replace cabinet items in an orderly manner.
- Remove the towels, shower curtain, and bath mat and put them in the wash.
- Get the dirty work done first. Clean the toilet. Don’t forget the nooks and crannies at the base! Put the dirty rag in the wash and get a fresh rag.
- Clean the shower. Baking soda on a wet rag works well as an effective, non-toxic scrubbing agent. Also, I’ve started using the lavender vinegar solution as a daily fresh shower spray.
- Wipe down the walls.
- Clean the floor.
- Empty the trash and wash the trash can.
- Clean the sink and mirror last, so that you don’t get them dirty again while you’re using the sink to clean the rest of the bathroom.
- Hang up clean towels and shower curtain.
- Place something pretty and fragrant on the counter, such as a candle, a flower in a bud vase, or a bar of naturally-scented soap.
Pretty Things for the Bathroom:
- Striped Cotton-Linen Hand Towel. Subdued, yet stylish.
- Turkish Bath Towels. So attractive and I’ve heard that these dry faster than regular bath towels, which would be useful.
- Soap. My favorite. I also love their Citrus, Milk and Honey, and Sandalwood.
- Wood Nail Brush. I have this one and the bristles are soft, yet get the job done. Useful for gardening and mud-pie-making days.
- Rosemary Vanilla Candle. I love the perfect simplicity of this stoneware vessel and the combination of rosemary and vanilla sounds heavenly!
Anything to add to this checklist or bathroom favorites to share?