In the battle against the winter blues, this smoothie is a bright ray of sunshine. This recipe is inspired by my friend, Poppy, who got me on a ginger and lemon kick. During these dark, wintry days, the lively combination of those two zippy ingredients goes a long way to boost my spirit. Being sweet, it actually seems indulgent to drink. Given the choice, I would easily pick this over a frappuccino, any day. Green smoothies may be an acquired taste, but I find this to be truly delicious.
Sweet & Spicy Ginger Green Smoothie
- Inspired by Poppy!
- Yield: 5-6 cups
- 1 cup apple juice
- 3 handfuls of mixed baby greens or greens of your choice
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 bananas
- ½ cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 3-4″ knob of ginger, peeled
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1½-2 cups frozen pineapple or peaches (really, any frozen fruit will taste good, but those fruits which aren’t yellow will make your smoothie brown, rather than a pretty green!)
- Pour the apple juice and lemon juice in the blender and add the greens. Blend.
- Add in the ginger, bananas, yogurt, and honey. Blend.
- Add the frozen fruit. Blend well. It may take several minutes to fully purée all ingredients and you don’t want to come across a piece of lettuce while you’re sipping!